"The Muses common-weale" : poetry and politics in the seventeenth century, edited by Claude J. Summers and Ted-Larry PebworthThe Resource "The Muses common-weale" : poetry and politics in the seventeenth century, edited by Claude J. Summers and Ted-Larry Pebworth
- "The Muses common-weale" : poetry and politics in the seventeenth century, edited by Claude J. Summers and Ted-Larry Pebworth
- Title remainder
- poetry and politics in the seventeenth century
- Statement of responsibility
- edited by Claude J. Summers and Ted-Larry Pebworth
- Presented at the Seventh Biennial Renaissance Conference at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, 17-18 October, 1986--P. 4
- Bibliography note
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- "Forc'd fingers": Milton's early poems and ideological constraint / Annabel Patterson -- "In that the world's contracted thus": casuistical politics in Donne's "The sunne rising" / Meg Lota Brown -- "What need hast thou of me? or of my Muse?": Jonson and Cecil, politician and poet / Robert Wiltenburg -- "Games of fortune, plaid at court": politics and poetic freedom in Jonson's epigrams / Robert C. Evans -- "The mysteries of manners, armes, and arts": "Inviting a friend to supper" and "To Penshurst" / Michael C. Schoenfeldt -- Carew's monarchy of wit / Diana Benet -- Satire in sextodecimo: Davenant, the dwarf, and the politics of "Jeffereidos" / Michael P. Parker -- The social and political backgrounds of George Herbert's poetry / Sidney Gottlieb -- Comus and the truth of the ear / Donald M. Friedman
- The temple of Hesperides and Anglican-Puritan controversy / Achsah Guibbory -- The feminizing of power: Crashaw's life and art / Paul A. Parrish -- Caroline Royalist Panegyric and the disintegration of a symbolic mode / M.L. Donnelly -- Building the foundations of a good commonwealth: Marvell, Pindar, and the power of music / Stella P. Revard -- Authoring the boundary: allegory, irony, and the rebus in "Upon Appleton House" / Marshall Grossman
- Control code
- 24 cm
- viii, 223 p.
- Other physical details
ContextContext of "The Muses common-weale" : poetry and politics in the seventeenth century, edited by Claude J. Summers and Ted-Larry Pebworth
Embeddable Data (Experimental)
Copy and paste the following HTML fragment to include the corresponding data into your application
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the above code fragment to best match your specific application requirements.
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Hope College Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.